Thursday, November 8, 2012

Two years ago today I reached my goal weight

 I can not believe it has been two years.  I remember that day so well, I was in the midst of getting ready for the today show,(I was leaving in a few days for it), and I stepped on the scale and there it was, 144. ( goal was 145)  I felt so many emotions that morning, but all I could think was " all my hard work has paid off". Had someone told me that that was the easy part, I would have laughed at them.

 It has also been just shy of one year ( 11 months ) that  I started my year of major injuries.  it Started last December with my shoulder injury ( and till this day I am still dealing with pain and lack of strength with it ). That seemed like the worst thing that could have happened to me , taking away any upper body strength training for 6 months.  But then I was hit with the lower body injuries in July, and since the first week in august I had to stop all exercise. I wasnt even cleared to swim or bike till 2 weeks ago.  First I tore my calf muscle , then while that was healing I had a major injury to my foot, stress fracture and tendon damage. after xrays, bone scans, and now am MRI, and 3 months later, I am still dealing with daily swelling and pain.  I got the OK to go back to the gym when I told my DR that I needed to go back, if not for my physical health, but for my mental health , I think he understood that, and said I could as long as I stayed no impact, ( bike and elliptical if I do not have pain) .

I have been back two weeks and I am feeling so much better.  It has been a very long , and hard year, dealing with all the injuries, making major life changes, ( Move, New Job, ect) and I have had bouts of sadness. when I wasnt able to go to the gym, my old ways wanted to come back. I wanted to sit around and eat, or drink and  it was a constant battle every day to not over indulge ( EVERY DAY). I needed to get back into my old ways of the past 4 years, eating healthy and working out. I need to feel good about myself , and how I look. Some people may think that is a selfish way to think and be, but for ME ,I need to do that. I have spent 20 years hating the way I looked, and I can not go back to that, not after spending the last few years loving the person I saw in the mirror.   Even if I can not go all gun ho like I have in the past at the gym ( I am not running any races anytime soon, that is for sure) I have to go back, and push myself and do what I am ok to do without causing further injury.

 As I type this I may not be at the goal weight I was two years ago, or even one year ago , (in fact, I am 14 pounds heavier than my goal weight, ) I do see that goal weight of 144 back in site, I feel the old Tami coming back out , and I will be back in my jeans in no time :)  ( I have to be, I refuse to spend money on new ones , lol ) 

 It has been a tough flippin year, and I am happy to say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Have a happy and healthy day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tami - I totally thought of you this past weekend when the CK convention hit Bellevue.(don't know if you remember me....) You are amazing! Hang in there, you have changed so much and the injuries are just going to be little obstacles you look back on.

    ReplyDelete